A Little Paper Piecing--UPDATED!

I have been very ambivalent regarding paper piecing--tried it, made a mess, fixed the mess, finished the piece, joined the "I paper-pieced-club" and put it all behind me.

But I keep seeing the cutest things on other blogs, and I get tempted all over again.  Like this piece by Serena, here.  It looked so simple and gorgeous.  And Serena is really warm and fuzzy and all, you-can-do-it!  (Hi, Serena!)

I downloaded the free templates and started out right away.  I have lots of scraps, after all.  Serena was right, the block is easy and practically painless.



Only thing is, I didn't quite understand the part about clockwise vs. counterclockwise.  No, I know what the terms mean.  It wasn't explained to only use one set of templates, and I am VERY literal.  Very.  So I made one of each, and then wondered why my geese were flying in different directions.



The upshot of this is that I needed to make four blocks.  I already made three.  To make a circle of flying geese in the colorway that I worked out while scrapping through these three blocks I still need to make---THREE-- blocks to finish my circle.

Although I continue to struggle with the back-and-forth issue, I did manage to make four squares that go in the same direction, and here is the finished block!




Apparently I am a glutton for punishment, as I found yet another paper-pieced mini quilt by Julie, at JustJulieLou, and I will absolutely by making a mini fashioned after hers.  I am smitten by this one.

I may not finish any sewing at all, however, as all three daughters are coming in for the weekend, to see their father on Sunday!  We are blessed indeed!

Happy Fathers Day to the dads out there.  I certainly miss my dad.

Linking up to Fort Worth Fabric Studio's Fabric Frenzy Friday!!!

Fort Worth Fabric Studio

And, the block really is a Finished block, kind of , yes.  So linking up to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts, and also to Jo's kind hosting of Thank God it's Finished Friday!  I am very happy I finished this prototype!

Debbie

Comments

  1. Congratulations for trying again - that flying geese pattern is so tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made that circle of geese block and I love it! It was part of a sampler and I totally want to make some more. We'll see when it actually happens though. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this cute little block. Thanks for sharing your process and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your lovely comments about my mini. I will let you know that there was a lot of unpicking at various times, and hand-basting of some of the curves. I have a friend who showed me paperless, paper piecing the other day, think I'll stick with paper for now though,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I have already printed out the templates. I saw your pics of the hand-basting and it seemed like a very good idea! I am not interested in paper piecing per se', but just developing my talent as a quilter, however it may take me! Thank you for sharing your original piece!!!

      Delete
  5. I did the same thing with a different pattern!! LOL I did not forge on however, I put it down and went on to something else :) Quilter's ADD was pretty bad that day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You did it and it looks awesome!! I didn't get stuck with that clockwise vs anti-clockwise as my printer failed to print out the second page - phew that was lucky, I might have done the same thing! Right, I'm going to go and check out this other mini you mentioned :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, and you were probably annoyed with your printer, too! I wish my printer had failed to print a page! Thanks!!

      Delete
  7. I did the very same thing! I had three going in one way and one going the other - I put it togehter anyway! Wonky is alright too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mix up left and right all the time (I know, I just have to pause and think for a sec), so I perfectly understand how that happened. The finished block turned out beautifully! Happy colours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message! I will most certainly answer you!

Popular Posts